Saturday, November 23, 2013

And the Tables Have Turned....

I just hate it when I've been so good at enforcing the household routine for the kids, that they start enforcing it ON ME. Case in point: I am usually pretty relaxed about pajama wearing in the mornings. We like to take it slow & "lounge" in PJs as often as possible. However, at some point before lunch time, I try to encourage getting dressed, which used to involve me chasing two half naked toddlers around the house & trying to wrestle clothes over their heads, while they simultaneously took turns pulling them back off. It is possible I have even spoken these words, "Well, you can't just wear your pajamas ALL day!" I started offering gummy vitamins to children who were willing to put on clothes, which (although a healthy requirement) seemed to really boost motivation in a serious way, so it has developed into a regular routine. At times I have even secretly patted myself on the back for thinking of such a great motivator.

However, recently on one of my days to stay home it was especially chilly at the bus stop and in the house, so after my shower I decided that I just wanted to put my warm cozy fleece pajamas back on and I did exactly that. However, the girls would have none of that! IMMEDIATELY they insisted I change:

Ashlyn (practically screaming): Mama! You can't wear Pajamas!
Kaia: You already took a shower!!? Where is your clothes?
Ashlyn: Its time to get dressed!
Kaia: You can't just wear your pajamas ALL day! (I cringe to hear my own words spoken by a tiny voice)
Ashlyn (running to my closet): Here is your clothes... (hands me some jeans) 
Kaia (practically pulling off my PJs): Its not jammie time, Mom! Its clothes time!

*Sigh*  Clearly, I have created a monster (or two). I HAD to put real clothes on. Apparently, I have very little personal freedom to make my own decisions. Next on my agenda: Teaching two toddlers to throw caution to the wind, ignore long standing routines, and just chill-lax a smidge about the "rules." Have I ever mentioned that it can be exhausting trying to teach three tiny people how to do everything in life?


2 comments: